Tuesday, March 17, 2009

line to heaven

An accident occurred in a nuclear power plant and all employees died during the incident. Minutes later, employees found themselves in a queue; thinking as they are about to face the biggest question in their lives from someone they never knew.

“I am only choosing five among you; you have to give me the best reason on why would I choose you as one,” a strange-looking man said.

Immediately, an elegantly-dressed official of the company made he way to the front and said’ “I was the highest earner in the company and I should be the priority. From my earnings, I have given donations to the poor and helped the many.”

Before the crowd could react, he added “I should be chosen as one of the five!”

From the group, however, appeared another official and said, “I handled the biggest responsibility; I helped the people, run the company, took charge of the affairs, and managed the people. It’s about time that I take my share, I am the most qualified among everyone!”

The strange-looking man gave no response. Instead, he looked among the group and nodded on to the next employee.

“Well, I was just waiting for you to ask me. As you can see, among the employees, I am the only one in uniform. That means that I am the most abiding employee of the company. I am dressed well and I do my job well.”

Turning to her secretary lined behind her, she commanded, “Give me a Bible so that I can read a passage for this man. He doesn’t seem to believe me.” She then turned the pages while mumbling into something; not being able to read a single line from the book.

“So, this is a matter of evidence, huh! Wait till I present mine!” the self-declared charitable official said.

From his bag, he took a folder containing files of his programs. He showed figures and faces, mostly including him, widely smiling in the midst of grimly-clothed crowd.
“See, I am the most charitable. I am the only one in the company…” he said.

“That’s nothing as compared to what I got!” someone from behind shouted. “I always bring these things with me as I always prepare for events such as this,” an official in eyeglasses said while making his way through the crowd.

“We have here,” he said while holding his eyeglasses in position, “my college diploma, indicating my honors, my certificates, medals and we have here…” pausing as he search for something from the pack.

“Here it is! Hahaha,” he said in between his laughs. He then raised a framed certificate with the words Lifetime Achievement Award. “I guess it is but right that my excellence continues here…the people inside needs me; I must be included in the group of five,” Mr. Educated declared to the group.

The strange-looking man continued nodding and asked for someone else who wants to “make a point.”

“You,” a high-ranking lady pointed to the staffs in line, “tell that man that I’ll be next one to speak,” she commanded. “And when I call you all to support me, you have to help me. Remember, you were all hired because of me…” she said while making her way to the front.

“The bases of arguments here prove to be flimsy,” the lady started as she eyes the first four persons who spoke. “To begin with, I am not in uniform because I can afford to buy more expensive clothing as I earn more than what Mr. Charitable earns,” she said as she continues to look among the crowd.

“I am also educated and I received various notations because of my excellence. I am responsible, I am helpful, I am abiding….all their qualities describe me,” she stressed.

“As a bunch of proof, I have here with me my staff, who can attest to all these things. Ladies and gents, go ahead and prove my point,” she commanded as she draws a grin on her face.

All the staff, out of fear for her authority, raised their hand in approval.

“See, I am the most qualified! There is no need to question my qualification. I am one of the five’” she proclaimed while dancing around.

All the staff bowed their heads as they lose their hopes of being chosen.

The man asked the crowd if someone else wants to make a point. But none from the group responded. They remained bowed and weeping over their misfortune.

“What else can I do? I was born from a poor family. I cannot extend anything to the poor as I myself am constrained,” a common employee, who also raised her hand moments ago, said.

“Anyone else who wants to speak for himself?” the strange-looking man asked.

For the second time, none responded.

“Ok, then. That being the case, these five may now ride the coach,” he said as he opened the door.

The five gaily hopped on to the coach. While the remaining people in line started to cry, one of the high ranking official waved to the crowd and said, “See, I was right! You were lucky; you had me as you boss. If ever you’ll make it after some time and we see each other, I’ll choose you as my staff again,” she said before she closed the window.

The cries got louder as the coach began its way; realizing that the end has started for those who were left.

“Cry no more,” the strange-looking man said. “There’s a lot of room for you, more than enough,” as he showed the way beyond an opening gate.

‘I can handle you all, actually. I can take more than five,” he explained. “I only put you into a test; I wanted to find out who among you are least deserving to be in my community.”

He then pointed to a signage behind the moving coach, “DOWN BELOW.” Before they knew it, the coach was gone.

The strange-looking man then gave them sheets of papers saying, “I want more of you in my community; let them read this.”

The next thing they knew, the man was gone and they were all left reading a piece of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment